Tuesday, October 7, 2008

what is everyone else saying??

I've never been one to follow blogs until now. Reading everyone else's blogs was the most fun I've had doing homework for this class. It was interesting to see different perspectives and reactions to the assigned readings because some people openly voice their opinions in class, while others like myself, usually do not. The beauty of a blog is that it gives a person the chance to be creative with their feedback and take thier time when answering. The thought of someone finishing a chapter in Williams' book and blogging about their sheer hatred for what they just read is also amusing.
Most of my classmates, as did I, had mixed feelings for each of the books. One quote that I found to be true came from Allison Bondie's blog. She said, "I prefer S&W's short commands that are accessible and come ready for interpretation." One of the reasons that I enjoyed Strunk and White's book so much, besides the illustrations, was that each section was short, precise, and to the point. There was no room left for questions when those two men were finished with a rule. Even if there had been, a person probably would have been scolded for asking.
A contrary opinion about Strunk and White that I also found interesting came from Susan McCracken's blog, in which she said, "some rules were merely their own opinions." One thing that I found in reading the first several pages of that book was that Strunk and White were very opinionated, and sometimes it seemed as if opinions became lost among rules and you had to be careful in interpreting them. Thanks to Strunk and White, I now feel a presence watching over me as I write - just waiting for an infinitive to be split.
After reading Strunk and White I was ready for a gentler excursion, which is probably why Williams was a nice change of pace. As Britney Hamilton Reed said in her blog, "Williams' Style Toward Clarity and Grace is more of a suggestion." I found that opinion to be true. In fact, I think I used the word "suggestion" in my blog as well. Williams, although dry and at times seemingly without end, was a much more laid back read. Anne Keinath's blog stated that Williams' book was "a lot less demanding and judgmental."
I found that most of my classmates liked Strunk and White as a reference guide, but grew tired of the scolding. Similarly, the feelings on Williams' book were also mixed. His suggestive manner and helpfulness were appreciated, while many people wanted to throw it out the window after reading a few grueling chapters.

No comments: